Saturday Sketch Day: Walter Simonson

Today's entry in the regular Saturday Sketch Day, a series in which I look at sketches, preliminaries and other oddities in my own personal art collection is the master himself - Walter Simonson.

I can't help but love Walt's work.  His art is utterly unique, dynamic, expressive and explosive.  You can find a lot of people who can ape anyone's style, but not many can copy Walt's style.  People try, but only Walt draws like Walt, and that's a damned good thing.   Not only is Walt a great artist he's a terrific writer - his Thor run remains one of my all time favourite comic books runs of all time, not to mention his all too brief, but very entertaining fantastic Four stories, and you can clearly see his influence on the recent Thor movie - plus he had a cameo at the end (blink and you'll miss it - he's at the banquet at the end of the film chatting to the Lady Sif).  And there's one more thing Walt is - he's a damned good guy.  When Bob Shaw and myself were pleading for donations from artists to aid Dave Simons in his time of need, Walt not only came through but he created an all new cover quality illustration featuring Manhunter and Batman, fully rendered and inked.  It raised more money than anything else we sold at the time and everyone involved was blown away by Walt's generosity.  God love you Walt!  Plus you have to admire a guy who's signature is actually a dinosaur...

I bought this illustration from a seller on eBay.  I bought it for two reasons - Judge Dredd and Walt Simonson - a perfect combination.  When I saw it I placed a bid and I snared it.  Since then some people have claimed that this wasn't drawn by Walt, so I'll put this out there now - prove to me that this wasn't drawn by Walt and I'll eat the art on camera.  But if someone proves beyond doubt that it was drawn by Walt, say Walt himself says so, then begin the envy!

 

Comments

Previous Posts!

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

New York Scam: A Serious Warning For All Travellers

MARVEL COMICS DEMANDS $17,000 from BROKE CREATOR of GHOST RIDER! The Shame Of Marvel...Part II

Yogi Bear's Sexuality Explained