Sunday, November 08, 2009

Mini Posters: Johnny Cash vs The Poseidon Adventure

One of the more interesting parts of my movie memorabilia collection are these little mini-posters which, as far as I'm aware, originate from the UK. Most of them are two sided and were issued to theatres to place in the lobby to promote upcoming films that were relevant to the cinema in question - hence two totally different movies would be featured. Generally they featured movies from the same genre but every now and then I come across one that is just too bizarre for words. This is one such example.

I've seen the original Poseidon Adventure - hell, who, over the age of thirty five hasn't? It's one of the (unintentionally) funniest movies this side of Earthquake really and a hoot to watch. I love it. The less said about it the better, but the movie on the other side of this poster is more interesting to me really - Johnny Cash's The Gospel Road. I've never seen it. I think the closest I've come to seeing it was watching Dewey Cox about a month ago. Just for kicks I looked it up and found this plot summary: "A black-clad Johnny Cash appears in and narrates this version of the story of Jesus' life, death, and resurrection, which was shot on location in Israel. Cash performs a number of original songs in his signature style."

Now that I need to see. If there was justice in this world my mother would have taken me to see that when I was six and not the story of an upside down boat.


No comments: