Share It

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Potted Review: Four-Color Heroes!

Right from the start allow me to state - this CD was sent to me by Andrew Boscardin. I've never met Andrew, never even spoken to him, nor emailed him, but he sent me his music to review, which I'm more than happy to do. I'm not sure if Andrew knew I'd enjoy this disc, but I did. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

If you like your jazz smoking hot and Scotch On The Rocks cool all the same time then you're gonna dig this puppy. I unwrapped it and put it on the CD player in the car and found myself just sitting there, long after I'd stopped, just soaking it all in and wondering just where Dean and Frank might be. It's smooth, it's freeform and it's everything that I've always loved in jazz music - sweet vibes, cool horns, subtle guitar, understated drums and driving bass lines - my only gripe is that, at 60 minutes long, it's just to short. I could have sat back and listened to this for hours on end, thankfully I have a CD player that just repeats the discs once they're finished and it'll be going straight onto the IPod. The music brings back an era for me - a feel for shiny chrome airplanes, leather seats, anodised cups and much more.

The music is all comic book inspired, with titles name-dropping such greats as Joe Kubert, Steve Ditko, Bill Finger, Bob Kane, Steve Gerber (to whom the disc is dedicated to - nice touch) and the daddy's of them all - Joe and Jerry (if you need last names to those two then you need your heads read). "I didn’t set out to write a bunch of music about comic books," says Boscardin, "but while the music for this band was being written I was reacquainting myself with some of my favorite comics and they just kind of seeped in there. I didn’t even know it was happening until it was brought to my attention that much of my recent writing sounded 'heroic' and 'positive.' Before I knew it, I had a suite of songs about some of my comic book heroes." To me the best jazz is unplanned and just falls from the fingers onto the disc. The best accidents are the happy ones. This is some damn fine jazz.

You can buy one of these fine discs here and also here. Andrew, count me in as a fan of your music and I'm damned happy to recommend this disc - you need to buy it and soak it in to really appreciate and enjoy it. Thanks for sending it over and allowing me to forget the world for an hour or so today. I needed that.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Danny,

Thanks so much for the fantastic review! I'm really glad you enjoyed "Four-Color Heroes." I didn't know for sure that you would, but as a regular reader of your blog, I thought you would at least appreciate the spirit in which it was offered.

Agreed that the final run-time was shorter than even I would have liked. There was another tune that didn't quite make the cut and I think one or two of the tunes probably could have been opened up for longer solos. Good stuff to remember for next time!

Thanks again and I'll be sure to keep you up to date on all of my future projects.

best,
-andrew boscardin