Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Original Art Stories: Steve Ditko & Eric Stanton

This arrived in the email today from none other than Dave Simons. Interesting reading, as always, from the pen of Dave.

------------------------
Have been reading the "controversy" about Ditko's association with Eric Stanton. I worked for Stanton myself, briefly and indirectly. I never met the man, though. Ken Landgraf used to go pick up the jobs from Stanton. Then we would work on them together, occasionally with Armando Gil, usually not. They were done on typewriter-size bond paper. Stanton would do layouts and we'd do pencil finishes. These were basically "commissions" and were never published.

This, rather than SWEETER GWEN was probably most indicative of the bulk of Stanton's career. I have to say that most of the time, even tho the material was of a sexual nature, I found little of it offensive. Some of it took a very dark turn and became disturbingly violent and as I recall I refused to work on those jobs. Probably not Stanton's choice but his client's as to that. I haven't looked, but there's probably lots of this on the internet and one can do one's own research.

The point is that most of the content was only a little more sexual than a Matt Baker comic from the 40s. There was seldom, if ever, any nudity and never any insertion. This holds doubly true for the earlier Stanton work. The bondage and S & M was ritualized fantasy violence and this is most obvious in SWEETER GWEN with it humorous homage to John Willie. Not that there aren't people who have a too-thin barrier between fantasy and reality--have you been to a con?

The point is that I tend to agree more with the theory that Ditko disavowed his "ghost" work, rather than that he disavowed his racier work with Stanton.

1 comment:

Jim Linderman said...

One of several articles and such on Stanton in my daily blog, Dull Tool Dim Bulb

http://dulltooldimbulb.blogspot.com/2009/08/spider-man-and-his-evil-twin-erstudio.html