Friday, March 21, 2008

Original Art Stories: Superman vs The Amazing Spider-Man


Ok, finally, it's here - the article you've been waiting for: SUPERMAN vs THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN.

I've gone back and revisited the original article, which ran in Back Issue #11, and added some additional information. I've managed to throw in some comments from the likes of Neal Adams and Gerry Conway, the comments from Neal have never been revealed before and stem from a conversation that we had shortly after the original article was published. I've also included some previously unseen original art, from the collection of one Terry Austin. So you know this is gonna be good. Funnily enough there's a lot more I can write, and in the fullness of time it'll all come out, but until then visit the main site and enjoy the article. It'll be the last word I have on the topic until such a time when I can reveal more, and I expect that won't be for years to come.

While you're at it you might enjoy reading a behind the scenes look at the creation, and aftermath, of my book Partners For Life. This article isn't for the faint hearted (I've had divorces less messy and traumatic than this), but serves as somewhat of a warning of what can go wrong in the publishing industry. Don't say you've not been told.

2 comments:

Tim said...

Great article, Danny! I have a fondness for this book as this was the time that through a mutual friend (Bruce Jacobson, owner of BJ's comics stop) a met Mike Nasser, who was painting the side of BJ's outside wall with the EC witch and a Superman as a billboard ad. Mike was a sign painter before moving to NYC from Detroit and of course a huge comics fan. Bruce was staging a huge promotion for the release of this book. Later on, I saw Mike after he began work as one of the Crusty Bunkers, and he told me about how many other artists had been involved in the book.The memories! I was like 14 at the time. Thanks for a great article.

Jason Czeskleba said...

My 9-year-old self was knocked out by this comic at the time, so I really enjoyed your article when I originally read it in BI. And it's always nice to get more details now.

One minor point. In the text you refer to Ross Andru as "the only man to have drawn both characters at that stage." That is not entirely true. Win Mortimer drew dozens of Superman stories in the 40's and a pile of Superman covers in the 50's, and in 1976 he was the ongoing artist of Spidey Super Stories and had drawn some 15+ issues of that series. So he had a decent amount of experience with both characters. Also, by 1976 Jim Mooney had drawn both Superman and Spider-Man stories, although in his case only a handful of both.

Obviously neither of those guys was high profile or enough of a fan favorite at that point in their careers to be considered for such a prestigious book, but I just wanted to point out Andru was not the only one to have drawn stories starring both characters at that point.