Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Meggs XII, April 4, 2004

I mentioned this photo in my previous post about James Kemsley. This photo was taken in 2004 when I finally caught up with James at a Meggs XI cricket match at Chateau Tanunda. You'd have to go a long way to meet a nicer guy than James, he was a treat to speak to and just brilliant to hang out with.

It was a lovely day all round and a very entertaining cricket match. Much to the amusement of all present Jamie Siddons punished the bowling of James hitting him into a nearby creek so often that some kids eventually stationed themselves there knowing the ball was coming their way. Siddons reached his 50 and promptly walked off the ground in search of a drink. INXS's Tim Farris (who, I must admit, looked like he'd spent a lot of time eating pies) was out at least three times, a first ball duck, another duck and then for three. Lennie Pascoe wasn't much better, standing to full height he threw his (now rather large) stomach out to the world and announced that he'd be back shortly for the girls. And he was. According to the scorecard James three overs cost him 58 runs for no wickets. I think he went for about 40 of those runs from the one over. I'm not sure where he was when it came time for him to bat, but I suspect that a few of his team-mates decided that he was better off scoring the game. They were probably right.

All in all it was one of those days that lives in the memory as a light, breezy warm day, full of fun, fine wine and fine chums. I'd not have missed it for the world and I often asked James when the Meggs XII was returning, secretly I suspect that he would of come back in a heartbeat if things could have been arranged.

1 comment:

Grant Brown said...

I remember this day as one of the best of my life.James was a great mate to me.and i love cricket.Was an honor to be playing in the games.