Monday, December 17, 2007

Dave Simons: Commissions

It was the dinner I missed due to a number of reasons, and I'm still kicking myself - in fact it's going to be one of the biggest regrets of my life. Going around the table we have (from left to right) Norm Breyfogle, Rich Buckler, Michael Netzer, Alan and Pauline Weiss and Dave Simons. Personally I think I'd have been a bit too starstruck to contributed to any meaningful conversation. The dinner is having some offshoots though, in 2008 I'll be working with Michael on a project, I'm still working with Norm, Alan and myself are busy with our creator owned project and Rich and Dave have both gotten back in touch. I couldn't ask for anymore.

Let me break your heart though. All five artists drew on the tablecloth and left it behind. Makes me cry thinking about it.

As there's a lot of people out there who love this kind of thing, this is just to let you all know that Dave Simons is now accepting commissions. I hate to say it but Dave's not been in the best of health of late. As Dave recently told me, "I've had esophageal cancer. Most of my esophagus was removed. I've since been receiving chemotherapy. My prognosis is very good, tho. Also the chemo is of a milder variety and not what I would be getting if I were to have had, say, bone cancer." That might be enough to put a damper on things, but not to Dave. His sense of humour is still well and truely in place (we've been going back and forth working out who the bigger bastard is between us both - literally) and he has a more than positive outlook on things.

However due to his health issues Dave has asked if I act as a middle man for his commissions for the time being. I won't be getting paid anything for this, Dave offered and I refused. So all the cash will paid directly to Dave. His rates are damn good and he's not lost any of his artistic chops so feel free to send me an email and we'll go from there.

Let's help make Dave's life a lot less stressful this holiday season and commission him to produce some impressive art. I've already got him to work (at full rate) on my dream commission so if you're thinking of getting an artist to work up something then get in touch and I'll put you in touch with the man himself.

In case you're wondering what did Dave work on back in the day, well here's a very partial list of his body of work: Captain America; Conan the Barbarian; Howard the Duck Magazine; Iron Man; King Conan; The Savage She-Hulk; The Savage Sword of Conan; Star Trek; Star Wars; Thing; Thor; Thundercats; The Tomb of Dracula; The Amazing Spider-Man; Dazzler; Ghost Rider; Marvel Team-Up; Marvel Two-In-One; Moon Knight; Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man; Power Man and Iron Fist; Red Sonja; Team America; Web of Spider-Man; What If?

Now that's not counting his DC work.

Along the way he's worked with talents such as Gene Colan, Bob Budiansky, Joe Rubinstein, John Buscema, Keith Pollard, Rags Morales, Geof Isherwood, Paul Ryan and a host of others to numerous to mention. We're not talking about Johnny Hack here.

1 comment:

Tim said...

You not having a word to say? I can't believe that! I hear that Dave is an ex-Coast Guardsman like myself. Perhaps I'll toy with the idea of him doing a Coast Guard themed drawing of a rescue at sea by some real superheroes.