Thursday, August 16, 2007

"We're Gonna Win-a This Race-a Uh Huh!"

Anyone that's listened to Eddie Murphy knows the meaning of the title of this entry and where it came from.

Today I thought I'd celebrate the passing of The Messiah by eating a dozen cheeseburgers, dropping a handful of Quaaludes, watching Clambake, inviting some chums around to sing timeless classics like Dominic the Impotent Bull, Song of the Shrimp, He's Your Uncle, Not Your Dad, The Bullfighter Was A Lady, The Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, Yoga Is As Yoga Does, Petunia the Gardener's Daughter, A Cane and a High Starched Collar, The Whiffenpoof Song and If My Aunt Had Nuts She'd Be My Uncle. Well, maybe not the latter, because Elvis never sang that. He did sing, and release recordings, of the other titles though. If you don't believe me then check it out for yourself. For every Heartbreak Hotel there were a dozen totally crap songs that he recorded for various films. After all of that I'll try an re-enact his last moments and see if I can't strain out the big one on the can after shooting the television.

God love The King. 30 years ago today, in the same week as Groucho Marx. Now Groucho, there was a talent that never went stale. But more on him in a few days.

No comments: