Friday, April 27, 2007

Bobby 'Boris' Pickett, 1938 - 2007

You may remember my earlier entry about our first trip as kids, the one that ended in me being nearly killed. Fun, fun, fun! I know I said that we had Mrs Mills tapes in the car, but on our second trip we drove my mother crazy by playing (and singing very loudly) The Monster Mash by Bobby 'Boris' Pickett over and over while she tortured us with Gladys. Sadly old Boris died very recently, but his cheesy song will live on forever - that's more than a lot of people can ask for.

Hey, it was so cheesy that even Boris Karloff sang a version of it. It was so cheesy that when Bobby performed it for the first time he was backed by Brian Wilson. How cool would that have been?

1 comment:

--steve cohen said...

I did not recall that Bobby had passed away!!!
He certainly will live on, thanks to that "graveyard smash", which I always enjoy hearing, come Halloween.
How well is Halloween liked in Australia, Danny?
Susan objects to it, on the grounds that it is "Anti-Christian", and tells me it is beginning to catch on in New Zealand, but that her opinion is shared by most in her home country.
I do a pretty good impression of Boris Karloff singing both THE MONSTER MASH and Talking Heads' PSYCHO KILLER.
Maybe I can sing 'em for you and the Gothqueen some day!!!