Saturday, November 25, 2006

Trip: Day III, Post I: Lost

No posts yesterday. Why? You ask...easy answer. Because we got lost.

The day started easily enough when we stumbled across a very famous house indeed. Although we didn't instantly recognize it, later it was pointed out to us.

This was our first ruin of the day. Looks great doesn't it? Pity the photos didn't quite come out, but considering what it is I might quickly cruise back today to try and get a few better shots. The more musically minded will be sitting there going, "Hey, isn't that?" and the answer is, yes, it is the house on the cover of Midnight Oil's classic album Diesel And Dust. The property is well fenced off and is signed with 'Trespasses will be shot' signs all over the place. With the warnings in mind we decided not to jump the fence, but just contented ourselves with taking as many photos as possible. I can't tell you exactly where it is, not that it's a state secret, just that I can't say the location because it's in the middle of nowhere, between Burra and Terowie.

We also revisited a fair few ruins from a previous trip that we did up here. It's incredible how many of them have just deteriated into almost nothingness. We took photos of one ruin back in 2004, now it's just a pile of rock. It's always sad to see the heritage of the country just vanish onto the wind.
We left Terowie after spending nearly two hours there doing research and (in my case) climbing the odd building in search of the perfect photo (got the photo BTW). It was getting damn hot by that stage so the other half suggested a round trip along a trail that's well known. Well known my arse!! It didn't take us long to get lost. As we approached a fork in the road the other half persuaded me to turn left, instead of right, which would have taken us onto private property. My mistake.

We drove for about fifty kilometers, with me saying all along that I think we're lost. Along the way we were accosted by various kangaroos, cows, a feral sheep and a wild horse with the longest, matted mane I've ever seen. All of them gave me reason to be very alert - roos have a way of leaping into an oncoming car, the sheep, well they're bloody sheep - no brains no pains and who knows if the horse might have wanted to attack. We found some ruins - pictured - so I stopped, got the photos and tried to get my bearings. No such luck - we were in the middle of nowhere, no civilization, no mobile phones and only the lap-top and hopefully a satellite card to help us if we got into real trouble. Still we pushed on.

We eventually found a homestead so I knocked on the door. No answer. The other half was insistent that we were on the right road, I knew we weren't, and anyway the road just kind of petered off into the outback. Ummmmm, nope. So I adopted my mother's first rule of being lost - turn the bloody car around and go back where you came from. Worked a treat. Back past the horse, the cows and the kangaroos. I'd had enough by the time I got to the sheep so I leant out and abused the wooly bastard. Bugger me if he didn't stop and just let us go past. What should have been an hour round trip through some scenic bush turned into a two and half hour trip into the outback - hell on Earth. There's nothing to see and the heat is almost unbearable. I have been in it enough times to realize that if you're getting lost then go back, don't go forward. That photo, the second one, is all that's out there that we could find. The homestead there is huge and has a debris field that was magnificent - loads of old iron, stonewear and bottles. We left it all behind for the dirt to claim, as it's claiming the rest.

Still, it was an adventure and we did have fun, and got some great shots along the way. More to come.

1 comment:

Jimmy T said...

I am a dessert lover and can spend days in the paintred dessert or death valley, so it is nice to see these pictures. Right now it is getting cold here in New England...sigh...

Jimmy T