Friday, September 22, 2006

Heroes and Villains: Australian Comics and their Creators

This appeared in my inbox today, and as it's going to be a damn good show I thought I'd share the email with you. There's several displays going on, plus a lot of extras. I know that when we're over in Melbourne in early November we'll be popping down to visit the exhibition and lose ourselves in an afternoon of Australian comics.

Anyway, onto the blurb!

--------------------------
Hi everyone

For those of you who aren't familiar with my name, I'm Kevin Patrick, the former editor/publisher of The Panther.

Now, it's been over 4 years since the last issue (#5) of The Panther appeared, but that doesn't mean I've turned my back on Australian comics - no siree!

One of the new projects I've taken on since then (which had its beginnings back in 2003, but really started taking shape in September 2005) is a new exhibition on the history of Australian comic books, which I've been curating for the State Library of Victoria in my hometown of Melbourne, Australia.

Now, here at last is the State Library of Victoria's info page on 'Heroes and Villains: Australian Comics and their Creators'

For those of you who've not heard of the show, I'm the Guest Curator appointed by the State Library of Victoria to mount this exhibition, which includes part of my collection of nearly all Australian comics published between 1975-2005, that I've donated to the SLV.

The Program of Events link on the above page will give you some idea of the on-site activities (seminars, lectures, exhibition tours, etc) and online events which the SLV is staging in conjunction with the exhibition.

This show's been a year in the making and features close to 300 separate exhibition items, ranging from rare comics to original artworks, as well as comics-related toys & merchandise.

Heroes and Villains is, without doubt, the largest & most comprehensive exhibition on the history of Australian comic books ever held. So, if you do get the chance to visit Melbourne between 20 Oct 2006 - 26 Feb 2007, visit the State Library of Victoria to check it out.

Oh, and did I mention it's free admission? Can't get fairer than that!

As the exhibition opening date draws nearer, there will be a dedicated 'Heroes & Villains' website which will features loads of material for people to read, download, etc. So, if you can't make it to Melbourne, you'll still get a chance to experience facets of the show online.

There will be a comprehensive exhibition programme (or 'room brochure', to use the correct terminology) published to coincide with the display, which, I hope, will be an effective 'min-sequel' to John Ryan's pioneering 1979 historical book, Panel By Panel.

So, have a geek at the website above and mark it in your diaries - oh, the actual opening date is 20 October 2006, not 29 October as listed on the site! (I'll have a word in their shell-like about this...)

Enjoy!

- Kevin Patrick

No comments: