Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Mighty World Of Marvel Part IV

More great stuff. Now I'm going to go out on a limb and attempt to guess the artists, but after my last dismal failure don't quote me on anything.

These scans are courtesy of David Johnson. David and myself will be launching another blog, eventually, that'll focus on the UK Marvels exclusively, so keep an eye out for that. In the meantime I've started a blog that has the information of the Australian comics. This new blog will basically reprint the core material that's already been on this site, possibly with some new material down the line. I guess at the end of the day I have to wonder if I just want to keep the Australian stuff here and run with the UK version on a separate site.

All in good time.

THE MIGHTY WORLD OF MARVEL #67

Cover dated: January 12, 1974.

My guess? Jim Starlin. The Hulk figure and, oddly enough, the backgrounds look very much like Starlin to me.

THE MIGHTY WORLD OF MARVEL #72

Cover dated: February 16, 1974.

Whoever it is it's not their best job.

THE MIGHTY WORLD OF MARVEL # 100

Cover dated: August 31, 1974.

Nice Kirby take off - Larry Lieber perhaps?

THE MIGHTY WORLD OF MARVEL #101

Cover dated: September 7, 1974.

Ron Wilson?

THE MIGHTY WORLD OF MARVEL #103

Cover dated: September 21, 1974.

My best for this one is also Ron Wilson. Something about the overall use of lines across the body, something that Ron does to this day.

THE MIGHTY WORLD OF MARVEL #105


Cover dated: October 5, 197431, 1974

This isn't going out on a limb at all - I'd recognise that artist anywhere. Classic Jim Starlin.

THE MIGHTY WORLD OF MARVEL #107

Cover dated: October 19, 1974

Yep, I can read. Even without the signature a blind man would spot Herb Trimpe's distinctive Hulk.

Ok, take your best shot and prove me wrong! More to come kiddies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, Danny Boy, here we go:

I think all the new covers, with the exception of 105, which, of course, IS Starlin (could this have come first and been used later on the us cover of Marvel Super-Heroes? I'd have to check the dates), the rest are likely by Ron Wilson and Mike Esposito. MWOM 72 does look very rushed; perhaps this one was pencilled and inked by Mike Esposito.

# 100, as far as I can tell, is from the original Hulk 1 cover. #107 is taken from a Hulk Annual.

Nick Caputo

Anonymous said...

Re: MWOM 105. It appears the cover was originaly used on Marvel Super Heroes # 47, cover dated Nov 74; meaning it was on the stands sometime around August '74. Starlin's signature is clearly seen on the GDC cover scan (which I would link to but am having trouble doing so, for some reason. Take my word for it or go there and look)!

Nick Caputo